12 Top Tips for Moving Business
1) Make sure that your phones and broadband are going to be connected by move day.
2) Check that your furniture fits – do you need a space plan? It sounds basic but it saves a lot of time on move day when a pillar gets in the way of the layout working.
3) Take the opportunity to ditch excess filing old stationery with the old address and rubbish. It’s less to move and who doesn’t feel better after a spring clean?
4) Remember to update your website, letterhead, business cards, compliments slips etc with your new address – it’s a good excuse to get in touch with old and new clients.
5) Network cabling can be a bugbear– is everything in the correct positions for your desking layout?
6) Do your new offices need any TLC before you move in? Carpets, blinds, a lick of paint?
7) If you’re moving in normal working hours do you need permission to use the lifts? Better to ask than need to lug everything up four flights of stairs.
8) Give plenty of notice of your move date for your removal company for arranging parking permits to avoid parking fines.
9) Use coloured labelling systems based on where the new desk locations are – so the removal men know that all the ‘green’ label items go to the ‘green’ area in the new office.
10) Decide what’s happening to all the stuff on your walls – your artwork, notice boards, TVs etc, and agree who’s moving it and putting it up at the other end.
11) If you’re moving yourself, make sure that your insurance company knows what’s happening and that you’re covered for any damages or losses.
12) Keep everyone informed of the plan – people don’t like uncertainty so have team meetings or issue a newsletter to staff to let them know what to expect and give them the chance to ask questions – you never know – they may have thought of something that’s been forgotten!